How long till chord changes were smooth for you?

kay4401
kay4401
02/28/2010 12:55 am
Hi, got my first guitar about 9 months ago. Am busy with work and family, and guitar playing is a hobby. Have played it as time permits, which means sometimes 30-60 minutes per day for a few weeks and then no playing at all for weeks or months at a time. My question is, how long did it take before you were able to make smooth and seamless chord changes? I still have to stop and make conscious effort to make my chord changes, and thus, the music I play still has a very beginner-like sound to it.
# 1
electric circus
electric circus
02/28/2010 2:08 am
its different for everybody depending on several things like how complex the chord is or your finger size even. theres a few more but theres a couple.
most basic chords, the changes should come in a day or two depending on how hard you practice. some fingerings i still have problems with because i may use a different fingering that feels more comfortable for me.
mostly though, it all boils down to practice.
another 80s metal fan.
# 2
Carmine M
Carmine M
02/28/2010 8:55 pm
A very long time for me. And still I am not happy about it.

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/28/2010 9:55 pm
Also depends on what chords you're switching between. There are the basic, ACDG etc chords that everyone struggles with as a begginer, then there are the more advanced chords that even annoy the veterans. I'm guessing you're in the first group. Just practice switching between 2 different chords. once you get used to the feel of each, its just a matter of changing your hand shape as you're moving it to the next chord.

It can take a while though, just keep taking it slow and not try to rush through the song making mistakes. Correct them first.
# 4
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/01/2010 5:08 am
I am still not happy about my switches and it has been 2 years since I started playing seriously. It comes down to muscle memory, as a beginner you are focusing on moving your fingers individually, you can not help this its just how your brain works. After time you grab an entire chord at once, that is where muscle memory comes in. When I want to play a C now all three fingers go there at once, when I first started I was watching 1 finger at a time move much more slowly then what I thought they should be.

Keep picking at it, the skill will come with repetition
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 5
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
03/01/2010 10:57 am
most my changes on the bassic full chords i know come fairly easy now, tho on faster stuff i still have a bad habit of throwing in one open strings transition strum as i change,

i find when i grip a chord i usualy walk my fingers in position from the high e up to low e so sometimes when playin on my first strum i'll try an aim more for the higher strings to give my fingers time to get in place. i know this is bad habbit and try and force myself to do cleaner changes.

most of my playing is either barre / power chords tho here recently i've started using much more open chords. the b7 is a new chord for me i really like, and i'm getting better at it, but still a bit clumsy on the switch.
# 6
electric circus
electric circus
03/01/2010 12:36 pm
try different fingering for the same chords. you might find one
a little more easy than the other
another 80s metal fan.
# 7
compart1
compart1
03/01/2010 10:32 pm
Hi kay4401..
Lisa has tutorial that tell a good way to transition between chords.
It helped me, though I still need improvement..
I also have the same problem as deadlynumber7 of throwing in one open strings transition strum... but for what I play it sounds good.

good luck and keep on pickin..
Gordon
# 8
FlyingJbird
FlyingJbird
03/02/2010 9:12 pm
Yeah, chords can get nasty, especially when playing jazz. My best tip to you is to:

1) try different fingerings of the chords. Any given chord can be played a million different ways

2)make sure you're warmed up first. I have really, really thin fingers, and blood circulation issues. That means that during the winter, I HAVE to play in a warm room and spend half an hour warming up. Cold fingers = choppy playing.

3) when you practice the chords, do them SLOWLY. Ignore the rhythm of the song. Focus on making the chord changes correctly, and on your own time. Then start building up the speed of your chord changes. In fact, you can even use a metronome. Pick a comfortable speed, and change your chord every four beats. Then slowly build up your speed. Make sure you get a clean sound each time. Trust me, it's easier to do it murderously slow and get it right, than to do it fast and have to unlearn mistakes.

Break it up into 10-15 minute bits. Practice the chord changes for 10-15 minutes, then move onto something else. Come back to the chord changes a little bit later. You'll have them down like silk in no time. :)

My biggest challenge to date has been this chord change:
Am7 -> Bm7 b5 -> Em7 b5
From the song "Black Orpheus." I spent a good week learning that chord change. :P

Oh, and another little cheater's trick: Sometimes if you throw in a little bass line from one chord to another, it gives you a chance to get all your fingers in place. Try doing a chromatic walkdown from the bass note of one chord to another to get you in place.

One big example is
# 9
Beantown Boy
Beantown Boy
03/03/2010 3:01 am
For me I very slowly see my fingers move from one chord to another. Muscle memory is an amazing thing. One night I will trudge through a chord change and the next night for no real reason it is smoother and the next even smoother until I dont think about it too much.

I look at learning the guitar like I am learning a foreign language. You can't learn it all at once but in small pieces. Eventually you become conversant.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.